Monday, March 17, 2008

Are we okay?

In response to my friend's comment to my last post, I thought I'd add a new post since my comment seemed to be dragging on a bit.

Yes, we're fine. All we got was crazy heavy rain and later some peasized hail. My hubby and I were driving through Bogart Saturday afternoon and started getting pegged by golfball size hail. Put a few dings in the van, but we were just happy not to see any twisters! My SIL, who was home with the kids, said that while she was trying to find the local weather, the kids went out in the hail. When she caught them, Little Princess was out there saying "ooh..ouch..ow..oh...!" When SIL told us about the kids going out in the hail, I calmly and rationally told them that if I ever found them doing such a thing again and the hail did not cause them bodily harm, then I would! I explained to them that it would only take one golfball sized hailstone popping them in their goofy little heads to cause serious brain damage.

I must admit, though, that it takes someone with serious brain damage to venture outside in the hailstorm with tornado threats all about in the first place! What were they thinking!? I'm not one of those delusional parents who is certain that their kids are headed straight for MENSA, but seriously...how much genius does one need in order to stay away from the little round hard things falling from the sky? My 9 month old Labrador Retriever knows that much! And even if it didn't occur to them that the falling hail might hurt, wouldn't you think that once they felt the stinging little buggers hit them the kids would have the sense to come back inside?!!!

My mom and dad used to say, "Don't you have the sense to come in out of the rain?" Or even, "Why in the world would you go outside in the snow with your bare feet in a t-shirt and shorts?" (guilty) But if I had gone out in the hail (during a tornado warning), I'm sure my father would have had a heart attack and my mother would have beat me to death right after she called the ambulance. My, how times have changed!

2 comments:

The Tittle Family said...

I'm glad everyone is safe! Kids think they are invincible don't they! Luckily it was just hail and no twisters in sight!!! Have a great week!

Kathy said...

Val and I once ran across a parking lot, through a building- (sneaking past a security guard)- and across another parking lot during a tornado warning because we didnt want to be late for an Anatomy Lab! And not to be boastful or anything..but she and I are both pretty bright gals!