Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Something in the Smile

"It won't hurt so much always, Anne."

"The thought that it may stop hurting sometimes hurts me worse than all else, Marilla."

~~

"Oh, everybody has been so dear and good and lovely to me, Marilla. I'm not ungrateful--and perhaps--when this horrible ache grows a little less--I'll find that I can go on living."

~~

Anne found that she could go on living; the day came when she even smiled again over one of Miss Cornelia's speeches. But there was something in the smile that had never been in Anne's smile before and would never be absent from it again."


Today, I remember the "fair maiden clothed with celestial grace." I see her, a tribute laid in grateful devotion at the feet of the Father. Today, all the little remembrances are gathered together and poured over with love. Her name will not be forgotten.

No comments: