Sunday, March 09, 2008

I'm reading a new book by Peter Walsh called Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat?. It had no special allure to me as a diet book, but the title intrigued me, so I picked it up. Flipping through it, I found that it had a whole huge section on organizing your kitchen and closet, grocery lists, and menu planning. It jumped into my buggy. Funny how that happens sometimes.

Well, it took me about a week to carve out enough time in my bathroom, er, study to read to the part about organizing the kitchen. So, yesterday I took upon myself the task of completely rearranging the kitchen. I have wanted to do this for a couple of years, but haven't had any idea how to go about it. With Peter's help, I set about tossing out stuff I no longer want or need and emptying my cupboards. As you can imagine, with 5 kids this (or any other task, for that matter) can turn into an all day affair.

My dear husband pointed out to me last night about 8pm that the wonderful time each year when we all get to lose one whole hour of sleep was once again upon us. This meant that the kids were already an hour late getting to bed if we didn't want to be awaking 4 angry bears early Sunday morning. (Did I already mention that Encyclopedia Brown was in Tennessee with the Royal Rangers having a sleepover at the Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum?)

Anyway, this revelation (Daylight Savings Time) was made to me while the kitchen floor was knee-deep in the contents of the cupboards, and I was given my marching orders about getting the kids in bed! My well-intentioned husband wanted me to leave the rest of the "organizing" for later (presumably today), and get ready for bed so that I wouldn't be exhausted at work/church today. When I informed him that I positively could not go to bed with dirty dishes in the sink, he sweetly offered to do them while I laid out everyone's clothes for the morning. I told him that I did not want to be greeted with a dirty sink in the morning, and he said he'd take care of it.

Now let me preface this by saying that I would never complain about my husband over this matter. He is the most helpful man I know when it comes to pitching in with the house and kids. But, truth is, he has some sort of mental block against finishing dishes. He would definitely explode if he washed everything down to the last fork. So this morning, I woke up to a kitchen still knee-deep in stuff and a sink full of dishes! AAAAAAAHHHHHH! He meant well, though.

And I didn't get home tonight until after 9:30 at which point I decided that it would all just have to sit there cuz I am done for the day. I can't see it hurting to put it off one more night, can you? Oh, and by the way, the sink full of dishes was technically a sink with a partially washed pot. There, now see? I didn't let myself exaggerate!

No comments: